Definition essays are probably the most usual assignments at any educational institution nowadays. It doesn’t matter whether you are at school or university; you have probably tried to write such kind of text.
When having such an assignment for the first time, you might think that it is the easiest task which can be. However, when you begin to work on this project there appear so many different unusual questions that we are going to discuss in this article.
If this topic seems interesting for you, just go on reading, and you will find out everything about the writing process, structure of such essays, and also great definition essay topics which you can start using right away.
What Is So Special About Writing Definition Essay
Generally speaking, this type of essay is used to explain a specific term. As a rule, it is something abstract or those words which have several meanings.
The term which has been chosen for the definition can be characterized differently and here are a couple of examples for your understanding. These definitions may be done:
- by analysis. It means that you should just compare terms in order to find out the major differences and similarities if there are any;
- by the functionality. Here you should try to get deeper into the functional part of the terms and explain its work;
- by false stereotypes. This can be used when a term doesn’t have a dictionary meaning right now, and there are lots of false ideas that are used online. Here you can explain, for instance, the meaning of slang and deeply explain the definition;
- by the certain structure of the term.
Important Steps for Choosing Definition Essay Topic
The choice of the topic is extremely important, but prior to searching for it, you’d better think wider and analyze other important factors. For instance, it is highly important that your idea should have verified evidence and be credible.
To cope with the assignment better, before the choice of the topic, you should find out such information about a certain term:
- Origin. You should search for all the available information relating to the origin of the chosen term. This will help to generalize a detailed understanding of how the world was changing and modifying through time;
- Usage. This part is mainly related to the recent usage of the word, and you can gather all the controversial meanings for the essay as well.;
- Older versions. There are lots of terms that were used before but are no longer in our usage. So it will be great to make an investigation on this topic and share these previous versions with readers of your essay.
After reviewing all the above-discussed steps and recommendations, you might start thinking that this essay is more like research rather than a creative flow of mind. Well, there is some truth in your thought, but you have also got some sort of creativity in this type of writing. First of all, you can choose that kind of interpretation which you have chosen. Also, there are no serious restrictions for methods of sharing this information.
Is It Necessary To Create An Outline Of An Essay?
Well, this is a rather controversial topic as well. It totally depends on the level of your skills, practical experience in writing, and other factors.
After reviewing lots of recommendations from professional writers who are still doing outlines, it seems like this part is highly important. However, you can still follow your own pass if you want. Our recommendations totally coincide with the idea of professional writers. We recommend having an outline in order not to lose the main idea of an essay. Sometimes it might be really challenging to remember one major point while being in the mode of writing, especially if you are doing this for the first time.
Sometimes you can be asked to complete really long writing that includes more than 6000 words, and it will be almost impossible to remember all the facts and ideas that you were initially planning to include in your writing.
A Usual Structure Of Definition Essay
To be honest, there is no huge difference between the structure of a usual essay and the definition one. It is quite obvious that an essay starts with an introduction. This part should be rather short and simple, with only the most required information. Here you will need to introduce the term, and if you have such a desire, you can share a dictionary explanation of this word.
Probably the most uncommon part will be the thesis statement. It should include your personal understanding of the chosen term. But don’t forget that your conception should be tightly connected with the research that you have made. A random imaginary explanation is not the best choice for good academic writing.
After the thesis statement should be the main body. Here you will include all the data that you have found relating to the usage of the term, context, origin, and of course, previous versions. We have already discussed this topic, so you can review this part once again if needed. Try to explain the most challenging parts to the readers if there is such a necessity. Also, don’t forget to discuss all these aspects in separate paragraphs.
For the conclusion part, you will need to summarize everything in the usual manner. Please don’t use any kind of new information here.
A List Of The Best Definition Essay Topics
Now when you know at least something about the structure of the essay, its peculiarity, and reviewed some practical recommendations, you can proceed to the choice of the right topic. Here are some great variants for you to consider:
- University: term evolution.
- What is the concept of an ideal university?
- What stands behind the definition of university?
- The origin of the word “University”.
- What does school mean to you?
- Definition of an ideal school.
- The concept of the word “school”.
- Happiness like an abstract term.
- Definition of the word “happiness”.
- The major definition of Happiness.
- Dictionary meaning of Happiness.
- Variable understanding of the word “happiness”.
- Interpreting the word “family”.
- What does family mean to you?
- Rarely discussed meaning of the word “family”.
- European approach to the word “family”.
- Academic writings and the word “family”.
- The origin of the word “freedom”.
- Freedom as a term in romantic literature.
- The definition of the word “freedom”.
- The most general concept of the word “freedom”.
- Different aspects of the word “love”.
- Teenage love as a term.
- Origin of the word “love”.
- Several meanings of Love.
- Love definition through modern poetry.
- What does business mean?
- The most commonly used definition of Business.
- All the meanings of the term “business”.
- Unexpected meaning of the term “business”.
- What does the term “history” mean?
- The most widely-used interpretation of the word “history”.
- History as a term in different languages.
- Definition of science as a term.
- Origin of the word “science”.
- The rarest meanings of the term “science”.
- Personal understanding of the word “science”.
- Logical understanding of the word “science”.
- Definition of the word “sport”.
- Origin of the word “sport”.
- Uncommon definitions of Sport as a term.
- What does the word “sport” mean?
Sure the process of writing especially a definition essay may be really time-consuming and tiring for most students. There is so much that needs to be done prior to the writing itself. There is a necessity for a detailed plan, research, and only after this, you can actually proceed to writing. Luckily, it only looks like a tiring process, but practically you just need to start.