Nowadays, it is difficult to imagine someone on Earth who would not have at least one social media account. People literally live on social media. They communicate, share information, pictures, videos, make friends, etc.
We are sure you are well aware of what social media is and how it works. In this case, it shouldn’t be a problem to write your social media essay. Writing on something you know very well is not difficult, and we would say, is very exciting.
Since the Internet offers lots of opportunities to its users all over the globe, people have a chance to pass their time in a fun and exciting way. It is hard to imagine the life of modern people without the Internet and social networking.
For that reason, you have so many topics for your social media essay – they are almost endless. But everything is not that easy. A social media essay can be a very tricky assignment, so it is good to know well how to write it and what to start from.
Find out all the hacks and tips on how to write your social media essay in our post below. They will help you create an outstanding social media paper and get the best grade for it.
Social media essay definition
It is not that easy to define a social media essay, while this topic is easy and controversial at the same time. Lots of people would see tons of benefits of social media, while others would insist on its negative influence on people, especially teens.
So, depending on the style of writing, you can distinguish the following types of social media essays:
- Speech on social media. This is a short essay and describes a certain networking aspect. However, it might be difficult to find a great topic for your speech;
- Persuasive social media essay. In this essay, you will need to convince your readers about the influence of social media on different groups of people, life, etc.;
- A personal reflection on social media. Here you should tell about your personal experience with social media or social media review from someone’s point of view;
- Argumentative social media essay. Here you should provide strong arguments, explain your idea, do analysis, and provide good and credible sources.
Social media essay structure
Now, if you really want to succeed with your social media essay, you should stick to its proper structure. At first, create an outline and include in it the following components:
- Body paragraphs;
As you can see, the structure is standard, as well as for most essays. When creating an outline, remember that an introduction should contain a strong thesis statement and an eye-catching look. Your main body should contain three to five paragraphs. And do not forget to include a call to action in your conclusion. Let’s consider each of them in detail.
Social essay introduction
Students from English-speaking countries adore writing about such social media as Facebook and Twitter. Even though they are their beloved networks, they still struggle with brainstorming great hook sentences.
A good hook sentence should grab the reader’s attention from the very first line. If your reader is your professor, a good hook is your guarantee he will want to read it till the end. Now you understand the importance of a good introduction.
You can use as a hook the following:
- Unusual fact;
- The assumption about common networking outlets.
Your introduction is aimed to introduce your topic briefly. End it with a strong argument to pose questions.
Social essay body paragraphs
Professional essay writers are very creative, and they usually brainstorm outstanding and inspiring ideas for their essays. They always make a paper interesting and unique.
We recommend sticking to the one idea-one paragraph rule in your body part. It means that you should start each new idea from a new paragraph. But make sure not to have more than five of them.
Make sure to find credible evidence if you state facts. You can use statistics, charts, official data, etc. for that purpose. If you mention the negative effects, highlight the opposite opinion as well.
Social media essay conclusion
The conclusion is the final part of your social media essay, and here you should restate your strong thesis statement. However, make sure to paraphrase it, avoid repeating the same phrase. If applicable, state a call to action, remind your reader what needs to be done and make your assumptions on issue solving.
Avoid adding new information to your conclusion; this will only confuse your reader. This part is not informative, rather summarizing. Sum up everything you have already mentioned in previous parts, restate your argument, and leave your reader thinking on your paper.
Social media essay topics for every student
Below, you will find some good and inspiring ideas for your social media essay. Keep in mind that the list of topics for a social media essay can be endless while it is as broad as the Internet itself. You can choose some of our ideas to come up with a great one of your own.
But any topic is good if it has a strong argument and if you can express your opinion on it. Make sure to include statistics and sources to support your arguments. Also, do not forget about proper citing and references to avoid plagiarism in your paper.
- Physical communication VS online chat-rooms.
- How does networking affect the environment?
- Can Twitter substitute newspapers?
- Can your social media profile help you get a better job?
- Is Facebook safe?
- The dangers of using social media.
- The impact of social media on teens and their perception of the world.
- How does Instagram affect the self-esteem of its users?
- Can Instagram blogging substitute a real job?
- Facebook is not for me: 10 reasons.
Tips on writing a social media essay
If you are an active social media user, it doesn’t mean you are ready to write an excellent essay about social media. First of all, you should possess some writing skills. But first, you should research the topic.
You may wonder what you should research if you know everything about a particular social network, spend lots of time on it, and even might be blogging there. However, it all doesn’t guarantee you success.
Researching on the topic means collecting data, evidence, check statistics. In other words, collect your evidence to prove your words and comment on the opposite viewpoint. However, you should also distinguish the good and bad effects of social media.
It will help you understand the pros and cons of social media much better and will make it easier to work on your topic. Remember that your opinion on the topic should be clear. So, let’s see what the positive and negative effects of social media are.
The pros of social media
- It enables students to study distantly online;
- It draws people’s attention to important social and cultural issues globally;
- It distributes information on the environmental problem;
- It plays the role of instant news;
- It may help in emergency situations;
- It contributes to globalization connecting people from all over the world;
- It helps people find employment, sell things, etc.;
- It is a fast and free way of exchanging information;
- It helps to be aware of the coming cultural events, etc.
The cons of social media
- It has privacy issues – no one’s information is really protected;
- Sharing information on social media often violates personal privacy;
- Young people harm body image;
- Student’s grades lower while they spend time online;
- It opens high opportunities for scammers all over the world;
- It lowers physical interaction between people;
- People lose the sense of real-life and communication; they live on the web;
- There is almost no control over what is shared on social media;
- It makes people addictive and dependent;
- Social media bullying is as dangerous as in real life.
We hope that now you can easily understand the pros and cons of social media and their influence on our lives, compare them to your personal experience. Taking into account all that information, you can create a great topic for your social media essay and have a better idea of what you should write about.